D'oh! Moments happen. I had one last night. I had prepped everything for the VAT tilt ( see Sept. posts ) and decided, that I should have the projector image size problem taken care of before I attempt to mount the assembly on the frame. I meticulously started to disassemble the projector and got to the bottom plastic, removed the light tunnel and D'oh! I found the way of taking off the lens assembly and adjusting for focus was not the one I thought it was. It Was A Lot Simpler ( 5 screws and 3 bolts). See below:
A little twist on the lens protector and it comes off.
Uuuuu Aaaaaa! Never mind the feet-once you take the cover off and protector there are only 2 screws ( and 2 clips ) holding the front panel.
And there it is! only 3 screws hold the lens to the light tunnel. I had it completely torn down just to discover this.
The projector ( a Dell 5100MP ) is extremely easy to adjust for focal distance. All I need now is a 22mm high x 70.5mm ring to use as a spacer and I have a perfect 60mmX80mm picture with no aberration and no distortion.
I also removed the focus ring limiting screw ( not the focal distance limiting ). To do that, you have to line up the slot with the window in the focal distance ring and then line up the focus limiting screw. Now I can move the Lens assembly in and out of the light tunnel to adjust the size of the image, move the focal distance ring and focus the image more freely. See below:
Hope all is going to plan on your build and I wish you to have less D'oh! moments.