Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Another correction - Steppers

After some calculation as to the http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/torque_calc.htm calculator for bolt torque I came up with an almost unbelievable small amount of torque needed for the Z axis steppers.  It is amazing how efficient a screw mechanism can be. So,to lift 10 lb, I only need 0.5 lb/in or 8 oz/in torque (0.5  lb / in = 8 oz / in). Similar goes for the VAT tilt, but adding to that gravity and I did not even make an effort to calculate it, I have just used lower spec motors that follow:

a 25 to 35 oz/in ( estimated by comparison - could not find docs for this particular model ) from a printer
no idea what this stepper is rated at (estimate is about 70 oz/in) , but if it fails for the task I will replace with the 180 oz/in on hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment