Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New and Improved Build Base

We start today's post with an update - repairing the damage done by the "Force". I have decided to make it out of Plexiglas or Perspex. I have contacted a local sign/advertizing company willing to cut it out for me and it was ready in a couple of days and in front of my door. I chose to use 10mm clear plexi since it was standard and readily available. I could have asked for a "black-matte", but it would have delayed the order.

Measurements are:

10mm X 60mm X 70mm

10mm X 70mm X 90mm








and I added 8mm holes with 15mm countersinks for M8 X30 bolt head that are 6mm deep  with a spacing measured off the Bracket ( Click Here ) in My case 26mm.


I have cut 3 sets should I need to make one fast ;-)
I had tested  JB Weld-Regular with some of the cutout pieces from the Plexi. Seems to hold up the Plexi to Plexi. What I was concerned about was the Plexi to Glass.

You can use some 200 sandpaper to rough the glass and plexi mating surfaces and clean them with Aethanol or Isopropyl Alcohol 96% and some no-lint cloth.


After inserting the bolts and spreading a generous amount of JBWeld ( you can clean it up the oozing after it sets for a few hours ).
Follow the instructions for using JB Weld - I placed it in a warm room @25C. Keep the base on a level surface - glass down, as the JB has not set yet. You can use regular tape to keep the two from sliding.
Result is this:





I have tested it with the same resin ( say ~1300 cP@25 )and it seems to hold up very well for now.
This is Life - I hope to not have to  redo it AGAIN?! ;-)

Salutations!

No comments:

Post a Comment